There are plenty of diets to help you eat better, and live a more healthy lifestyle. But the best diets are those that fit into your lifestyle. One of the healthiest ways to lose weight and muscle gain is to improve your protein intake. These recipes are loaded with protein to fill you up, curb your appetite, and give you energy throughout the day.
Overnight oats are a great alternative to hot oatmeal. They can be made overnight, and are a great breakfast on the go. You can mix in your favorites. These are our favorites, with delicious cocoa, and raspberries!
- 1 ½ cups of rolled oats
- 2 tbsp of chia seeds
- 1 cup of Greek yogurt
- 2 cups of almond milk
- 3 tbsp of cocoa
- Mix oats, almond milk, and chia seeds
- Add Greek yogurt, raspberry, and cocoa powder.
- Stir and cover. Leave to sit overnight
Another great breakfast option full of protein and flavor, and perfect for on the go. You can even swap the casserole dish for greased muffin tins, and try a breakfast bake on the go!
- 2 cups of spinach or kale
- 1/3 cup of sliced green onions
- 1 tomato, sliced thin
- 12 eggs
- 2 cups crumbled feta cheese
- 4 tbsp butter
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh parsley for garnish
- Kitchen spray
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Spray a large casserole dish
- Add vegetables
- Whisk your eggs, cheese, garlic, salt, and pepper together
- Pour egg mixture over vegetables. add butter
- Bake 25-30 minutes
Lime and Chili Turkey Burgers
Turkey is a delicious alternative to ground beef. These burgers are a twist on a typical burger, and they can be topped with your choice of healthy veggies and sauces.
- 1lb of ground turkey
- 1/3 cup of chopped green onions
- 2 tbsp of cilantro, chopped
- 1 large clove of garlic, grated
- ½ a lime, juiced
- ½ tsp of chili powder
- ½ tsp of paprika
- Combine ingredients into a bowl and fold ground turkey in with spices, lime juice, and chopped onions. Form into patties
- Heat grill to medium-high heat. Grill for 5 minutes per side.
- Toast buns on grill pan or skillet for the last minute
- Top with guacamole and tomato. Enjoy!
When you think lean eating and protein, you don’t usually think of pasta. But this pasta is loaded with capers, olives, and other protein-rich ingredients that help fill you up, and taste great.
- 1 tbsp of olive oil
- 4 oz of halved cherry tomatoes
- 3 tbsp of capers
- 8 green olives
- 2 garlic cloves, diced
- 1 can of tuna
- 1 handful of spinach
- ½ tsp of Italian seasoning
- 6 oz of chickpea pasta
- Boil pasta in salted water. Cook 1 minute less than box instructions
- Coat a sauté pan with olive oil on low heat. add tomatoes, capers, olives, tuna, and seasoning
- Drain pasta, leave ½ cup of pasta water
- Add spinach to sauce and simmer until wilted
- Return pasta to low heat add 2 tbsp pasta water and stir into pasta slowly, until coated
Butternut Squash and Sausage Risotto
Butternut squash is low in saturated fat and sodium, and a great source of protein. It also contains dietary fiber, and plenty of minerals, including Niacin, Riboflavin, and potassium. This risotto is made with lean Italian sausage and butternut squash. It’s filling, fast, and full of muscle-building proteins.
- 1 medium butternut squash cut into cubes
- 2 tbsp of olive oil
- ½ lb of Italian chicken sausage
- 1 tbsp of butter
- 1 tsp of olive oil
- 1 ¼ cup of arborio rice
- 4 cups of vegetable stock
- 1 cup of water
- ½ cup of finely shredded parmigiana
- 1 tbsp of chopped sage
- Preheat oven to 450F
- Place peeled, cubed butternut squash on a baking sheet. Toss in oil so it’s fully covered
- Bake for 20 minutes until soft. Remove it from the heat.
- Add oil to a skillet and cook sausage over high heat for 7-10 minutes. Drain fat, and set aside
- Add in shredded cheese, diced onion, and sage leaves
- In your largest pot. add 1 tsp butter, and 1 tsp olive oil over medium heat
- Add onions and cook for 4-5 minutes
- Add rice and sauté for 1 minute
- Slowly add the stock, stirring continually. The rice will cook slowly. You should be adding stock until it becomes creamy. Once you run out of stock, you can switch to water. The rice will get creamy and absorb the rest of the water. Then, take it off the heat, and add in the cheese and sage
- Add in the sausage and butternut squash
- Salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot
Making the right choices when it comes to your meals doesn’t need to be about dieting. Instead, you should be focused on protein-rich foods that can help you gain muscle, and fill you up faster – helping you curb cravings.